Enfield Town, also known as Enfield, is the historic town centre of Enfield, in the London Borough of Enfield. It is 10.1 miles (16.3 km) north-northeast of Charing Cross. The area is identified in theLondon Plan as one of 35 major centres in Greater London. Enfield Town used to be in the county of Middlesex, but became of Greater London in 1965.
Enfield used to be a collection of small communities spread around the royal hunting grounds of Enfield Chase. At the time of the Domesday Book the area was spelt 'Enefelde', and had a priest who almost certainly resided in St. Andrew's Church. By 1572 most of the basic street layout had been completed. The village green later became the historic marketplace between the church and where the fountain now stands. A market is still operated in this area, which is owned by the parish charity. Its name most likely came from Anglo-Saxon Ēanafeld or similar, meaning "open land belonging to a man called Ēana" or "open land for lambs".
Enfield Town centre underwent major redevelopment work, completed in Autumn 2006. A large extension to the existing shopping centre was built, under the name Palace Exchange. Many branches of chain stores already existing in Enfield Town centre were relocated to the new extension, and there are some completely new stores. In the summer of 2011 a vacant building (previously a bingo club) on Burleigh way in the town centre was demolished and replaced with new apartments which were completed in the spring of 2012. There is space for six commercial units and public art. Another two new apartments are being built on Silver Street and Southbury Road. There are also plans for a fourth new block of flats to be built which will go ahead if the council approve it.